Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, HI, NI (twice) is a Pakistani nuclear scientist and a metallurgical engineer, regarded as the founder of gas-centrifuge enrichment technology for Pakistan's nuclear detterent program. He is regarded as one of the greatest Pakistanis to have ever lived by people throughout the country and continue to support and adore him, regardless of the media campaign against him.

Dr. Khan was born into a middle-class Muslim family which migrated from Bhopal to Karachi in 1952. He graduated in 1960 from the University of Karachi with a Bachelor of Science, majoring in physical metallurgy. He then went on to obtain a degree of Master of Science (Technology) in 1967 from Delft University of Technology, in The Netherlands, and a Doctor of Engineering degree in Metallurgical Engineering from the Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium in 1972.

In 1976, Khan was put in charge of Pakistan's Uranium Enrichment Program with the support of the then Prime Minister of Pakistan, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto. The uranium enrichment program was originally launched in 1974 by Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) as Project-706 and Dr. Khan joined it in the spring of 1976. In July of that year, he took over the project from PAEC and established the Engineering Research Laboratories (ERL) at Kahuta and subsequently, renamed it to the Khan Research Laboratories (KRL) by the then President of Pakistan, General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq. The laboratories became the focal point for developing a uranium enrichment capability for Pakistan's nuclear weapons development programme. KRL also took on many other weapons development projects, including the development of the nuclear weapons-capable Ghauri ballistic missile. KRL occupied a unique role in Pakistan's Defence Industry, reporting directly to the office of the Prime Minister of Pakistan, and having extremely close relations with the Pakistani military.

On February 4, 2004, Khan appeared on national television and confessed to running a proliferation ring; he was pardoned the next day by President Musharraf, but held under house arrest.

On August 22, 2006, the Pakistani government announced that Khan had been diagnosed with prostate cancer and was undergoing treatment. On September 9, 2006, Khan was operated at Agha Khan hospital, in Karachi. According to doctors, the operation was successful, but on October 30th it was reported that his condition had deteriorated and he was suffering from deep vein thrombosis.

In July 2007, two senior government officials told the Associated Press that restrictions on Khan had been eased several months earlier, and that Khan could meet friends and relatives either at his home or elsewhere in Pakistan. The officials said that a security detail continued to control his movements.

According to Dawn News on March 5th, 2008 Dr A.Q. Khan was hospitalized Wednesday morning after having developed an infection.The public will be kept informed about the state of health of Dr. Khan, periodically by doctors and government officials.

On February 6th, 2009, Dr. Khan was released from house arrest and declared a free man

No Comments. Login or Signup to be first.